At the recent AGM, the idea of producing this one-act play was proposed and received general support from the members. So, now I need to start planning and getting your support in order to get this moving. The general information that I currently have is as follows.
Production dates – one performance the w/c 22/03/21 (date to be confirmed) and one (or two) performance on 26/06/21 (Fringe Fest), provided live performances are permitted;
Performances will be at the Hayes Village Hall, Hayes Street (subject to the HVH and Government guidelines). I am prepared to work with one cast for the two sets of performances or two different casts (one for each occasion). If the latter, then the timetable for that June production will be produced by the end of the year.
- Responses to this notice and requests for audition pieces must be completed by 30/09/20
- Audition forms must be completed and returned by 31/10/20
- The go-ahead will be discussed and agreed at the next Committee Meeting on 24/11/20
- Auditions will be held online and cast announced between 30/11/20 and 19/12/20
- Rehearsals will commence w/c 11/01/21. Probably by Zoom at first followed by the Merrill Studio, George Lane, Hayes, again provided they are permitted. A rehearsal schedule will be sent out immediately after auditions but may be subject to change depending on Government guidelines at the time.
Whether we are able to perform live or not I intend to film the play for broadcast via social media. So, technical resources will be crucial. Lighting, sound, props and videographer will be needed. The set consists of a table, four chairs and a waste paper bin. So, no set construction required. Costumes can be their own clothes.
Okay, now to the play.
“Lockdown in Little Grimley”. Some of you may be familiar with this series of one-act plays by David Tristram and this is the latest, which has just been released.
(There are a number of videos on YouTube if you search for “Little Grimley Plays”)
LOCKDOWN is a new addition to the popular Little Grimley series, which follows the antics of a hapless Amateur Dramatic Society desperate for audiences, and it’s a perfect fun-filled romp to kickstart your own society after lockdown.
In a time of lockdown, Chairman Gordon calls an emergency meeting, complete with social distancing, to discuss his idea for their next production when restrictions ease – a touching love story set in a hospital, with all profits destined for the NHS. But based on their previous efforts, will the NHS actually end up worse off?
Cast (In order of appearance)
- Bernard – General backstage member and minor actor.
- Margaret -Diva actress and quite voluptuous, almost in an obvious way like Lesley Joseph in 2Birds of a Feather”
- Gordon -Chairman – Doggedly believes in the Society no matter what the adversity is.
- Joyce -Secretary of the Society. Timid librarian and erstwhile dreamer of being in a musical!
All aged in their 40s or early 50s.
The general feel of this play reminds me of the BBC’s production “W1A”. Again, if you’re not familiar with this, there are videos on YouTube.
Please request a copy of the audition piece (email@example.com), which will be emailed to you. The audition will consist of Scene 1 of the play and I will partner different couples and groups together as we go through the piece.
If you decide to audition, I will send out audition forms for both acting and technical backstage places, which need to be returned by 31/10/20.
Thank you and looking forward to working with you.
Steve White (Director)